Consumer Assistance Program


Vehicle Failed The Smog Inspection?

The Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) provides the following options to help motorist whose vehicles fail a Smog Check:

Vehicle Retirement

Sell your qualified vehicle to the State at a BAR-contracted dismantler. Your vehicle may be eligible even if it does not fail a Smog Check.

Repair Assistance

Get financial help with emissions-related repairs at a BAR-contracted station. Your vehicle must have failed its biennial Smog Check. Eligibility is based on income. Approved applicants are responsible for any costs to test and to diagnose the reason for the Smog Check failure.

Repair Cost Waiver

Get a one-time waiver from completing emissions-related repairs after your vehicle has failed its biennial Smog Check. At least $650 must have already been spent at a licensed Smog Check station to correct the emissions problem. 

Contact BAR's Referee Scheduling Center at 800.622.7733 to schedule an appointment for a waiver.


Participation in the Consumer Assistance Program is based on available funds. Additional applicant and vehicle requirements apply. Applications must be approved by BAR prior to your participation in the Vehicle Retirement or Repair Assistance options. For more information, visit or call 800.952.5210